Friday, August 26, 2005

Success

This is an excerpt from Heather Havrilesky interviewing Alan Ball on his work in general and Six Feet Under in particular.
This quote got me, as Alan Ball is an amazing writer with a beautiful portfolio of work and yet he sounds like me who is a struggling and insecure writer/artist who has almost no portfolio...(italic emphasis is mine)
H.H.:
Sounds like you're secure with yourself as a writer, to be taking on new mediums.
Alan Ball:
There are times when I think, "Oh my god, I'm a horrible writer, this is just all some horrible mistake that happened, it's all going to become so blindingly clear." But you can't let your insecurities rule you. And also, I get bored doing the same thing over and over. I mean, I'd be lying if I said there weren't times during the run of "Six Feet Under" where I was just bored, but then that's true of my life as well, at some times, so I don't know how you can avoid that.

No comments: